Monday, December 19, 2016

Lemonade and Orange Juice

Christmas time is my favorite time of year (other than summer, for obvious reasons), but every year we find ourselves exhausted and stressed, struggling to really enjoy our family time because of all the "extras" that seem to come along with the holidays. We travel non-stop from November through January trying to get time in with all of our family members (which is worth it, of course), but that in itself is exhausting. Pack the suitcases, wrap the presents, load car, load the kids, forget diapers or wipes or underwear, feed the always-hangry-Crosby mid car ride, grip the "Oh Crap!" handle while sliding on ice on the highway--you know, the usual fun that accompanies winter traveling. In addition to non-stop traveling, it is usually finals time at school and kids are trying to make up for a semester's worth of work they should have done the FIRST time, instead of scrambling and stressing me the bleep out.

"Can I have that assignment you already gave me five times? I know I don't deserve your help because I messed around all semester, but will you re-teach everything you've already taught? How long will it take you to grade this mound of late work I have just submitted two months after it was due?... because I really need it graded by the end of the day. Will you read this assignment out loud to me because unfortunately, I can't be bothered to do it myself?" Or my personal favorite, emails from home like this: "Hi Mrs. Philips: My child would really like an A in your class, but right now he has a D. How can we help him achieve this? I know he has been defiant, rude, absent at least 10 blocks this semester, but gosh, he sure has potential. I know you've emailed me at least 5 times about him failing, but I still didn't realize it. Can you tell me all the missing work he needs to make up? I have Infinite Campus, but it's just too much to expect me to look at it."

And people wonder why I enjoy an occasional mixed drink at night. Listen, it's mixed with lemonade or orange juice. It's fruit, okay?

That's all for now, folks. There's no redemptive ending to this or deep reflection on what Christmas time really means. Just some good-old public school venting.

Love,

Mrs. Scrooge

No comments:

Post a Comment